All About Non-Profits
- Foundation Center – www.foundationcenter.org – Content-rich site with information from starting up, to finding funders, to gaining more knowledge, along with links to event videos and webinars.
- Non-profit Good Practice Guide – www.npgoodpractice.org – Articles, guides, glossary for non-profit management.
- Board Source – www.boardsource.org – Practical resources for non-profit boards.
- Center for Non-Profits – www.njnonprofits.org – Charitable umbrella organization serving New Jersey’s non-profit community through public policy, education, legal and management assistance.
- Princeton Area Community Foundation – pacf.org – Supports local nonprofits with grants, advocacy, and professional guidance.
- Tax-Exempt World – www.taxexemptworld.com – Information for tax-exempt, non-profit organizations, non-profit companies, foundations, or charity.
- Network for Good – www1.networkforgood.org – Online fundraising tools. Services offered: email, event, engagement, and donor management. Their services are not free but useful when dealing with a big event or many potential donors.
- Crowd-sourced fundraising:
- GoFundMe – www.gofundme.com – Provides fundraising platform for all types of organizations or projects.
- Kickstarter – www.kickstarter.com – Provides fundraising platorm for creative projects – games, films, photography, inventions, etc.
- Indiegogo – www.indiegogo.com – Helps non-profits and organizations raise money online.
- Patreon – www.patreon.com – Allows donors to give ongoing support to their favorite creators.
Tax, Legal & Management Resources
- IRS – www.stayexempt.irs.gov – This site is run by the IRS. It has an in-depth topics section that contains podcasts on many topics.
- State of New Jersey Treasury –www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxation/nonprofitinfo.shtml – The state of NJ’s site with tax info for nonprofits; includes a link to a small printable brochure.
- USA.gov – www.usa.gov/Business/Nonprofit.shtml – Government site with information on grants, loans and other assistance, management and operations, tax information
- NOLO – www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/nonprofits NOLO, Law for all, provides free and low-cost legal information on setting up a non-profit corporation and applying for your federal tax exemption.
- FindLaw –http://smallbusiness.findlaw.com/incorporation-and-legal-structures/non-profit-organizations.html – The site has detailed information
on forming a non-profit, maintaining non-profit status, and related tax and legal topics.
- Probono Partnership – www.probonopartner.org Free business legal services to eligible nonprofits in New York, New Jersey and Connecticut. They also host seminars.
- Support Center | Partnership in Philanthropy – supportcenteronline.org – A non-profit consultancy, which provides change consulting, executive search and training.
- Charity Navigator – www.charitynavigator.org – Site provides info on the financial health of over 5,500 of America’s largest charities.
- Guidestar – www.guidestar.org – Site gathers and publishs information about non-profit organizations.
- Givewell – www.givewell.org – Site is an independent, non-profit charity evaluator.This site focuses on evaluating and finding top charities.
- Better Business Bureau, Nonprofit – www.give.org – Evaluates charities.
- Pennsylvania Association of Nonprofits – www.pano.org – A statewide membership organization serving and advancing the non-profit sector through advocacy, collaboration, education and other services in order to improve the overall quality of life in Pennsylvania. Accredits member organizations who adhere to standards set forth.
Volunteering / Networking
The following sites allow organizations to publish volunteer opportunities and are open to the public. Web site visitors can search for a posted opportunity that matches their skills.
- Volunteer Connect (Greater Mercer County) – www.volunteerconnectnj.org.
- Volunteer Match (Statewide) – www.volunteermatch.org.
- Find Nonprofit Jobs -The Nonprofit Center at La Salle University – www.findnonprofitjobs.org.
- Policy Options – www.policyoptions.org – This site provides a digest of local, state and national policies and trends. Policy options coordinators will provide forms, meetings, and networking.
- Idealist.org – www.idealist.org – From Action Without Borders, covering over 100,000 non-profit organizations globally, enables organizations and individuals to find each other.
- Council of New Jersey Grantmakers – www.cnjg.org – Leading resource for networking and information for NJ’s philanthropic community.
- Student Volunteering Guide – www.onlineschools.org – This guide aims to inform you how to find a volunteer opportunity that best fits your comfort, abilities, and interests to create a positive and productive volunteering experience.
- NEW – Launching March 2018 – Philanthropy University – Free online courses for nonprofits – https://enroll.philanthropyu.org/launch-next-week/
- Mercer County Community College – www.mccc.edu/ccs/nonprofit.shtml – classes and certificate program.
- The Mercadien Group – www.mercadien.com – a business consulting group, offers free webinars.
- Courses at the Nonprofit Center at La Salle University – www.lasallenonprofitcenter.org.
- Pro Bono Partnership – www.probonopartner.org//Pages/workshops/workshops-x – Offers non-profit workshops and webinars.
- Wild Apricot’s Membership Knowledge Hub – www.wildapricot.com/membership-knowledge-hub – Membership software for managing a non-profit. Site offers articles and guides for staff, volunteers and board members information and insight to help with the day-to-day challenges.
- Social Media for Non-Profits – socialmedia4nonprofits.org – Group provides social media training through conferences, online training, and community to help nonprofits leverage social media for cause awareness, engagement with stakeholders, fundraising and advocacy.
- Tech Soup – www.techsoup.org – Matches donated technology with non=profit recipient organizations. Contains a learning center with material written for all levels of technical expertise.
- Small Business Computing – www.smallbusinesscomputing.com – In-depth technlogy reviews.
- Non-profit Technology Network (NTen) – www.nten.org – Group is the membership organization of nonprofit technology professionals, whose members share the common goal of helping non-profits use all aspects of technology more effectively.
Free or Nearly Free Office/Business Tools
- Skype – www.skype.com – Free and low-cost calls, video calling, instant messaging and file sharing.
- Free Conference Call – www.freeconference.com – Conduct conference calls (phone) without reservations.
- Pam Fax – www.pamfax.biz – Send and receive FAX documents with your computer.
- Doodle – www.doodle.com – Schedule meeting times with a group of participants.
- MailChimp – www.mailchimp.com – Free email service. Send 12,000 emails to 2,000 subscribers for free. No contracts, and no credit card required.
- Google Apps – www.google.com/apps – Free for 30 days for business services, such as web-based email, calendar, storage and documents for teams.
- Dropbox – www.dropbox.com – File sharing and collaboration. Keep your file at Dropbox, never loose them, access them from all your computers and devices.
- Who Is Coming – www.whoscoming.com – Keep track of event reservations (used by Princeton Community Works).
- Square – squareup.com/organizations Accept payments. Square turns an iPhone, iPad into a credit card machine.
- SurveyMonkey – www.surveymonkey.com – Conduct online surveys, up to 10 questions are free.
- NJ State Library – www.NJStatelib.org – State library located in Trenton. Website and library are valuable resources for non-profits!
Updated Apr. 19, 2017